Friday, June 09, 2006

Carpe Diem


Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

I just finished this book and wanted to share this great entry:




Returning to Life After Being Dead

When I am feeling dreary, annoyed, and generally unimpressed by life, I imagine what it would be like to come back to this world for just a day after having been dead. I imagine how sentimental I would feel about the very things I once found stupid, hateful, or mundane. Oh, there's a light switch! I haven't seen a light switch in so long! I didn't realize how much I missed light switches! Oh! Oh! And look--the stairs up to our front porch are still completely cracked! Hello cracks! Let me get a good look at you. And there's my neighbor, standing there, fantastically alive, just the same, still punctuating her sentences with you know what I'm saying? Why did that used to bother me? It's so ... endearing."


Reminds me of George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life. And, although it's kinda cheesy, it resonates with me.


We have so much potential in our pockets.

totally unintentional, but I love that I posted this right after an entry titled "Wasting Time"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy has several children's books that you and your daughter might like. One is called "Cookies" and I can't remember the other one. I'm sure you could find both on Amazon! Love her stuff!